I love The Beatles, their music changed the world. none of 'em of are perfect but that's what makes 'em The Beatles.
Talk to me about Newsies and I'll love you forever.
Roses are red,
Drooble’s wrappers are blue,
The Longbottoms were brilliant,
If only they knew.
the actual sound of my heart breaking (via allofthatblood)
1. At about twelve he mentioned the games he played at home with Sarah to some guys at school. Sarah tended to choose a lot of the games that they played, so things like house and things involving dolls and stuff were on the list. People bothered him about it for a long time.
2. David’s left handed. As a kid he had one teacher who was constantly calling him out for this in front of his classmates and calling him things ranging from satanic to devious to lazy for it. Then when he wrote with his write hand, the same teacher criticized his handwriting in front of the other students.
3. Once at school David’s class was dissecting frogs, and the teacher made a comment about frog reproductive organs. David jumped to the conclusion that at that his teacher had brought this up because he wanted the class to know, at that very moment, exactly how human reproduction worked, so he helpfully launched into an explanation of it. He’d read about it somewhere (and also his parents had given him and Sarah enough information to avoid anybody in their family accidentally changing Newsies into a Spring Awakening reenactment) . His parents got a strong letter, and the students acted as if he was some sort of weird pervert for bringing it up, and continued to do so all through the rest of his education. David at that point had absolutely zero interest in even kissing another person, and most definitely did not find anything about the reproductive process appealing. He found it troubling that, for knowing what a fallopian tube was, he was labeled as more deviant than the boy who found his dad’s collection of dirty magazines and traded them with some of the other boys “as a joke”.
4. David threw up once in gym class. This happened really close to him dropping out of school to sell papers. Things had reached a head in terms of bullying and nastiness at school at that point. He’d taken to sometimes “faking” sick to avoid being around the other students. Actually, being around the other students and thinking about dealing with them did make him feel physically ill. Anyway, his parents still perceived it as him pretending to be ill to get out of school, and weren’t very happy with it, and David got into the habit of assuming if he felt sick he was probably physically fine, and just nervous or something. The gym class incident was the beginning of a nasty stomach bug that lasted a full day, and not nerves. The gym instructor made one of the other students walk him home just to be sure he made it okay. This was not helpful, as far as David was concerned. The whole experience was deeply upsetting for him.
5. David assumed that Jack ever finding out about any of these things would be humiliating, but somehow it never was.
Number 1 was greeted with, “That sounds great! I’d play dolls with Sarah all day if she wanted. She got any?”
Jack’s response to number two was, “Your handwriting’s perfect. you should see mine.”
The third one did get a laugh from Jack, but he also threw his arm around David’s shoulder at the same time, and looked at him like he was amazing. Also, he was genuinely interested in the workings of internal organs and stuff.
As for the last one, Jack would find it really awful that somebody would be made to feel humiliated for getting sick. He’d understand that that kind of thing happened, and I don’t think he’d be a stranger to it himself, but he’d have a pretty matter of fact way at looking at body stuff that people can’t help. Just it happens, and that’s fine. David would find Jack’s avowal that he was welcome to puke in front of him as often as he wanted, but he’d appreciate the sentiment.
Post newsies David would be a lot harder to humiliate. He’d still get embarrassed about stuff in the short term, but it wouldn’t be a case of him staying up late dwelling on every perceived misstep. Having friends who just casually and easily accepted him would be a big deal.
David would be so fixated on keeping Les out of trouble that it would take him a long time to realize that Les didn’t actually get into that much. In fact, between his mouth, and the odd adventures that Jack would pull him into, David would get into more trouble over all than Les ever could.
As a teenager, Les would start to turn David’s mother henning and over-protectiveness back on him, mostly to make a point.
David: Les, don’t forget to…
Les: DON’T FORGET TO BRING A SWEATER WHEN YOU SNEAK INTO THAT ABANDONED THEATRE WITH JACK LATER TONIGHT MAYBE BRING TWO SWEATERS AND A SCARF HEY DAVID HAVE YOU BEEN EATING YOUR VEGETABLE LATELY??? HAVE I MENTIONED THAT THE THEATRE, WHICH YOU ARE SNEAKING INTO, IS ABANDONED?????
okay if we’re mutuals u can
- ask for my phone number
this has been a psa thank u